Ships in a Breeze
- Additional Title(s):
The Egremont Sea-piece
- Part Of:
- Etching and mezzotint, printed in brown ink First published state on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- 11 1/2 × 16 3/4 inches (29.2 × 42.5 cm), 8 1/8 × 11 3/8 inches (20.6 × 28.9 cm), and 7 1/8 × 10 1/8 inches (18.1 × 25.7 cm)
Inscribed on verso in graphite, upper left: "10/1"; lower left: "1st State"
Collector's mark: "C" (circled)
Lettered above image: "M"; below image: "Drawn & Etchd by J.M.W.Turner Esqr. R.A.P.P. | Engraved by Chas. Turner | In the possession of the Earl of Egremont 6 by 5 | London, Published Feby. 20, 1808 by C. Turner No.50 Warren Street Fitzroy Square"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- clouds | sailboats | sea | waves (natural events) | wind
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Etched by Joseph Mallord William Turner, 1775–1851, British, Ships in a Breeze, 1808
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.