The Bridge in Middle Distance
- Additional Title(s):
The Sun between Trees
- Part Of:
- Etching and mezzotint, printed in brown ink on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 10 3/8 × 14 3/4 inches (26.4 × 37.5 cm), Plate: 8 1/4 × 11 3/8 inches (21 × 28.9 cm), and Image: 7 1/8 × 10 3/8 inches (18.1 × 26.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower right: "13.I"; lower right: "Dup. I."; inscribed on verso in graphite, lower left: "13.I | JMWT (C.J.Palmer 1868) | (Sir John Hippisley)"; lower right: "Cotswold Gallery, 1924, ex G.E.Blood, CJ Palmer & Sir John Hippisley"
Blind embossed: "G.E. Blood" (Lugt 265c)
Lettered above image: "EP"; below image: "Drawn & Etchd by J.M.W.Turner Esqr. R.A.P.P. | Engraved by Chas.Turner | London, Published June 10, 1808, by C.Turner, No.50 Warren Street, Fitzroy Square."; scratched lettering lower left: "Proof"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | bridge (built work) | country (rural landscape) | landscape | musician | river | trees
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Etched by Joseph Mallord William Turner, 1775–1851, British, The Bridge in Middle Distance, 1808
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.