The Fifth Plague of Egypt
- Part Of:
- Etching and mezzotint, printed in brown ink First published state on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 8 × 11 1/8 inches (20.3 × 28.3 cm), Image: 7 1/8 × 10 1/8 inches (18.1 × 25.7 cm), and Mount: 10 3/4 × 15 inches (27.3 × 38.1 cm)
Inscribed on mount in graphite, lower left: "16"; lower right: "2nd State"; inscribed on verso in graphite, lower left: "<...> 6 by 5"; inscribed on back of mount in graphite, lower center: "Second State"; lower right: "ZW Aug 1942"
Blind embossed: "G.E. Blood" (Lugt 265c)
Lettered above image: "H"; below image: "Drawn & Etched by J.M.W.Turner Esqr. R.A.P.P. | Engraved by C.Turner | The 5th Plague of Egypt the Picture late in the possession of W.Beckford Esqr. | London, Published June 10, 1808, by C.Turner No.50, Warren Street, Ftizroy Square"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- clouds | disease | landscape | lightning | meteorology | Old Testament | people | plague | pyramids | religious and mythological subject | science | storm | the ten plagues (Exodus 7:14 - 11:10, 12:21-30) | ziggurats
- Associated Places:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
Pearls to pyramids : British visual culture and the Levant, 1600-1830 [wall labels], Yale Center for British Art, 2008, p. 34, V 2576 (YCBA)
Pearls to pyramids : British visual culture and the Levant, 1600-1830, , Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, 2008, p. 16, V1880