Little Devil's Bridge over the Russ above Altdorft, Switzerland
- Part Of:
- Etching and mezzotint, printed in brown ink Engraver's proof (f) on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 11 1/2 × 17 3/8 inches (29.2 × 44.1 cm), Plate: 8 1/4 × 11 3/8 inches (21 × 28.9 cm), and Image: 7 × 10 1/4 inches (17.8 × 26 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "19. E.P. (f) | very fine Early | <Engraving> Proof | Before the MS at top | also name misspelled 'Alldorft'"; inscribed on verso in graphite, lower left: "e£ | 87870 | 19. E.P. (f)"; lower center: "Cotswold Gallery 1924, ex G.E.Blood"
Blind embossed: "G.E. Blood" (Lugt 265c)
Lettered below image: "Drawn and Etched by J.M.W.Turner Esqr. R.A.P.P. | Engraved by Chas.Turner | LITTLE DEVILS BRIDGE over the RUSS above ALLDORFT SWISSD. | London, Published March 29, 1809, by C.Turner, No.50, Warren Street, Fitzroy Square"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bridge (built work) | cliff | mountain
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Translations - Turner and Printmaking (Yale Center for British Art, 1993-09-29 - 1993-12-05) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Turner and the Sublime (British Museum, 1981-05-15 - 1981-09-20) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Turner and the Sublime (Yale Center for British Art, 1981-02-11 - 1981-04-19) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Turner and the Sublime (Art Gallery of Ontario, 1980-11-01 - 1981-01-04) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]