Laurence Sterne, A.M.
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 15 5/8 x 11 3/4 inches (39.7 x 29.9 cm), Plate: 14 15/16 x 10 13/16 inches (38 x 27.5 cm), and Image: 13 5/16 x 10 7/8 inches (33.8 x 27.6 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower right: "L/m"; lower left: "Vol 6 P 319";, on back, upper left: "100"; lower left: "(design)"; lower right: "This print is [...] and [...] | being an impression before the Plate was reduced | 111 for 176/crease 15/"
Lettered, lower left: "J. Reynolds Pinx,,t"; lower center: "Laurence Sterne, A.M. | Prebendary of York, Vicar of Sutton on the Forest and of Stillington near York."; lower right: "E. Fisher fecit. | Pr. 5.s"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- author | cloak | curls | desk | drapery | garter | gaze | gesturing | leg | mantle | papers | poet | portrait | posing | quills | robe | sitting | sleeves | smiling | Sterne, Laurence (1713–1768), writer and Church of England clergyman | vicar | wig
- Associated People:
- Sterne, Laurence (1713–1768), writer and Church of England clergyman
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.