IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
George Siegmund Facius, 1750–1804, West Window of the Chapel, New College Oxford: The Virtues - Temperance, 1782
West Window of the Chapel, New College Oxford: The Virtues - Temperance
- Part Of:
Collective Title: Iconographie Anglaise par Reynolds et Autres
- Stipple engraving on thick, moderately textured, cream, laid paper
- Sheet: 25 1/16 × 18 1/16 inches (63.7 × 45.9 cm), Plate: 19 7/8 × 12 7/8 inches (50.5 × 32.7 cm), Image: 18 3/8 × 11 13/16 inches (46.7 × 30 cm)
Lettered, lower left: "Painted by Sr. Joshua Reynolds | Drawn by Josiah Boydell"; lettered, lower center: "TEMPERANCE. | To the Rev'd John Oglander D.D. the Warden & to the Society of New College in Oxford | This Plate is Dedicated by their Obliged humble Servant John Boydell | Publish'd June 1st, 1782 by John Boydell Engraver in Cheapside, London"; letterd, lower right: "Engraved by G.S. & J.G. Facius"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- allegory | clouds | cup | ewer | religious and mythological subject | scarf | temperance | the Three Theological Virtues | woman
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.