- West Window of the Chapel, New College Oxford: The Virtues - Fortitude
- Stipple engraving on thick, rough, beige, laid paper
- Sheet: 25 1/8 × 18 1/4 inches (63.8 × 46.4 cm), Plate: 19 15/16 × 12 7/8 inches (50.6 × 32.7 cm), and Image: 18 3/8 × 11 13/16 inches (46.7 × 30 cm)
Lettered, lower left: "Painted by Sr. Joshua Reynolds | Drawn by Josiah Boydell"; lettered, lower center: "FORTITUDE. | To the Rev'd John Oglander D.D. the Warden & to the Society of New College in Oxford. | This Plate is Dedicated by their Obliged humble Servant John Boydell | Publish'd June 1st 1782 by John Boydell Engraver in Cheapside London"; lettered, lower right: "Engrav'd by G.S. & J.G. Facius"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- allegory | column (architectural element) | feathers | helmet | lion | religious and mythological subject
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
George Siegmund Facius, 1750–1804, West Window of the Chapel, New College Oxford: The Virtues - Fortitude, 1782
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.