Bishop's Palace, Wells, Somerset: Plan through Battlements of Octagon Tower
- Part Of:
Collective Title: [One of] Sixty-seven sheets of elevations, ground plans, and ornamentation from several Gothic structures. One loose drawing.
- Graphite with pen and black ink on moderately thick, smooth, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 14 15/16 x 10 1/4 inches (37.9 x 26 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "Section of Coping | cut at AAA"; in graphite, lower center: "Plan, cut through Battlements, of Octagon Turret of Great Hall, | Bishop's Palace, Wells, | Somersetshire"; in pen and black ink, lower center: "Plan cut at CC"; in graphite and pen and black ink, throughout, labels and dimensions given
Watermark: "J WHATMAN | 1832"
Signed and date in graphite, lower left: "FTDollman | Sept. 12th. 1832"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | battlements | Gothic (Medieval) | great halls | octagonal | palace | plans (drawings) | sections | turrets (towers)
- Associated Places:
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
unknown artist, (FT Dollman), Bishop's Palace, Wells, Somerset: Plan through Battlements of Octagon Tower, 1832
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.