- Sphinx, in the Gardens of the Villa Albani, and a Study of a Roman Mask
- Charcoal and brown wash on moderately thick, moderately textured, beige, laid paper
- Sheet: 11 5/8 × 9 inches (29.5 × 22.9 cm)
Inscribed in charcoal, lower right: "Sphinx / Roman / in the | gardens of the Villa Albani-" inscribed in charchoal, lower right: "March 17 1804"; inscribed in charcooal, center right: "Roman Mask -"; inscribed in graphite, upper right: "I/36"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Sir Robert Smirke the younger, 1781–1867, British, Sphinx, in the Gardens of the Villa Albani, and a Study of a Roman Mask, 1804
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.