View of the Valley of Hierapolis (now Pamukkale)
- ca. 1750
- Gray wash with black ink over graphite on moderately thick, moderately textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 15 1/16 x 21 3/8 inches (38.2 x 54.3 cm), Image: 9 1/8 x 14 1/8 inches (23.2 x 35.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "69"; in brown ink, upper left: "LXXII (crossed out and replaced in graphite with '65')"; lower center: "HIERAPOLI DI FRIGGIA"
watermark: Strasburg lily with "VDL" [Van der Ley] in monogram
Signed in brown ink, lower left: "Borra Archus. Del."; not dated
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- buildings | Greco-Roman | landscape | mountains | river | trees | valley
- Associated Places:
- Denizli Ili | Ege kiyilari | Hierapolis | Pamukkale | Turkey
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Giovanni Battista Borra, 1713–1770, Italian, View of the Valley of Hierapolis (now Pamukkale), ca. 1750
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.