Details of an Ionic Capital, Column, and Frieze from Hierapolis (now Pamukkale)
- ca. 1750
- Black ink with gray wash over graphite on moderately thick, moderately textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 21 7/16 x 15 3/16 inches (54.4 x 38.5 cm) and Image: 12 3/8 x 8 inches (31.4 x 20.3 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "74 | 79"; in brown ink, upper left: "LXXIII."; in black ink, within image: various measurements; in graphite, lower left: "Hierapolis"
watermark: Strasburg lily and "LVG" in monogram (Churchill 406)
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | capitals | columns | entablature | friezes | Greco-Roman | Ionic | putti
- Associated Places:
- Denizli Ili | Ege kiyilari | Hierapolis | Pamukkale | Turkey
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Giovanni Battista Borra, 1713–1770, Italian, Details of an Ionic Capital, Column, and Frieze from Hierapolis (now Pamukkale), ca. 1750
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.