Topographical Map of the Course of the Meander River (Ancient Maender River, Now Menderes River)
- ca. 1750
- Gray wash with black and brown ink over graphite on moderately thick, moderately textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 21 5/16 x 15 1/16 inches (54.1 x 38.3 cm) and Image: 12 7/16 x 8 inches (31.6 x 20.3 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "54 | XXXX."; in brown ink, upper left: "XLVI."; in black ink, within image: labels A-X; in graphite, lower center: "Course of the Meander from Pilas(?) to the Sea"
watermark: Strasburg bend and lily with "WR" [Wendelin Riehel of Basle] in monogram (Churchill 408)
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cartographic material | hills | lakes | mariners' compass | mountains | river | scale (rule) | topographic map
- Associated Places:
- Asia | Buyukmenderes Nehri | Turkey
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Giovanni Battista Borra, 1713–1770, Italian, Topographical Map of the Course of the Meander River (Ancient Maender River, Now Menderes River), ca. 1750
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.