Cæsar Alexander Scaglia Abbas Staphardæ et Mandanices
- Additional Title(s):
Cesare Alessandro Scaglia
- Part Of:
- Line engraving and stipple engraving on medium, slightly textured, blued white, laid paper, mounted on, moderately thick, moderately textured, cream, laid paper
- Mount: 13 9/16 × 11 inches (34.4 × 27.9 cm), Sheet: 9 3/4 × 7 1/4 inches (24.8 × 18.4 cm), and Image: 8 7/8 × 7 1/16 inches (22.5 × 17.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso, lower center: "W64 V | ex c 24962"
Collector's mark: 'G.A.C."
Lettered, lower center: "CÆSAR ALEXANDER SCAGLIA ABBAS STAPHARDÆ ET MANDANICES. | Ant. van Dyck pinxit"; lettered, lower left: "Hic, quem tacentem nobilis finxit manus | Nuper diserta Principes lingua mouens | Momenta rebus magna perplexis dedit. | P. Pontius Sculp."; lettered, lower right: "Sibi nunc silendo uiuit: actotum procul | Undare Mundum tacitus, e Portu intuens | Animum ad futura, doctus ex uisis parat. | Mart. vanden Enden excudit Cum privilegio"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- ambassador | cape | clergyman | diplomat | leaning | man | mustache | pillar | portrait | religious and mythological subject
- Associated People:
- Scaglia, Cesare Alessandro (1592-1641), Italian cleric and diplomat
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Paulus Pontius, 1603–1658, Flemish, Cæsar Alexander Scaglia Abbas Staphardæ et Mandanices, ca.1635
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.