George Stubbs: A Sketch
- Additional Title(s):
- Etching on medium, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet (cropped inside plate): 7 5/8 x 5 9/16 inches (19.4 x 14.2 cm) and Image: 6 3/4 x 5 1/4 inches (17.2 x 13.3 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower center: "GEORGE STUBBS"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Mt. Orde f"; lower center: "A Sketch | [horizontal line] Quae cum nitentes | Pingere equ! [horizontal line]"; lower right: "Bretherton"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- artist | canvas | chair | coat | easel | horse (animal) | man | paint | paintbrush | painter | painting | painting (visual work) | palette | portrait | profile | sketch | waistcoat
- Associated People:
- Stubbs, George (1724–1806), painter, engraver, and anatomist
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
Michael Jaffe, Stubbs, a self portrait , Burlington Magazine, vol. 127, no. 983, February, 1985, pp. 85, 87, fig. 20, N1 B87 + OVERSIZE (YCBA)
Julia Marciari-Alexander, This other Eden, paintings from the Yale Center for British Art , Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, CT, 1998, p. 210, ND1314.3 Y36 1998 (YCBA)