The Belle of the Village
- Aquatint, stipple engraving, and etching with color woodcut on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper laid on contemporary mount made of thick cream card
- Mount: 12 3/8 x 10 3/8 inches (31.4 x 26.4 cm) and Sheet (cropped inside plate and image): 8 1/16 x 6 1/2 inches (20.5 x 16.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "3449 | 15 (encircled) | D [...] | £8"
embossed stamp, lower center, oval topped with crown; within oval: "INVENTOR & PATENTEE | G. BAXTER (in script) | 11 & 12 NORTHAMPTON SQUARE"; beneath oval, in rectangle: "THE BELLE | OF THE VILLAGE"; stamped in black ink, lower right, within image: "PUBLISHED Octr. 7, 1854, | BY G. BAXTER, | PROPRIETOR & PATENTEE, | LONDON."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- agriculture | animal | animals | bows (costume accessories) | carriage | cart | clouds | corn | dress | field | flowers (plants) | grass | hills | landscape | leaning | man | poppies | portrait | rocks (landforms) | sickle | straw hat | stripes | woman
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by George Baxter, 1804–1867, British, The Belle of the Village, 1854
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.