- Soft-ground etching on moderately thick, moderately textured, blued white laid paper
- Sheet: 12 3/4 x 10 3/16 inches (32.4 x 25.9 cm), Plate: 11 1/2 x 9 5/16 inches (29.2 x 23.6 cm), and Image: 10 7/8 x 8 7/8 inches (27.7 x 22.6 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, center: "B (written sideways)"; on back, lower left: "44550 (encircled)"; on back, lower right: "co"
Lettered in black ink, within image, lower center: "Publish'd 1st. April 1774."; lower left: "Mr. Bunbury del."; lower right: "J: Bretherton f."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- beard | costume | cowls | cross (object) | genre subject | hoods | men | monks | pockets (costume components) | profile (figure) | religious and mythological subject | robes | rosary
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by James Bretherton, ca. 1730–1806, British, Two Monks, 1774
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.