George Pritchard, Her Britannic Majesty's Consul
- Additional Title(s):
George Pritchard, H. B. M. Consul at Tahiti
- Aquatint, stipple engraving, and etching with colored woodcut on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper, laid on thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper, laid on contemporary mount made of thick, slightly textured, hunter green card
- 16 1/4 x 12 1/2 inches (41.2 x 31.7 cm), 14 1/16 x 11 5/16 inches (35.7 x 28.8 cm), and 10 9/16 x 8 15/16 inches (26.8 x 22.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back of mount, upper left: "L25 (xed out) Lau"; on back of mount, upper center: "Fully lettered mount"; on back of mount, center: "aaa (written upside down) | Paid D[...] 7 +8 ("+8" encircled) | £15"
Lettered in black ink, lower center: "George Pritchard | HER BRITANNIC MAJESTY'S CONSUL. | THE SCENERY REPRESENTS THE BAY OF PAPEETE, QUEEN POMARE'S PALACE, | THE CHAPEL, & NATIVES RETURNING FROM A WEEK-DAY SERVICE. | [horizontal line] | DESIGNED, PRINTED IN OIL, & PUBLISHED BY G. BAXTER, PATENTEE, | 11, NORTHAMPTON SQUARE, LONDON."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- balcony | baskets | bay (body of water) | book | brocade | buildings | buttons | children | coat | fruit | interior | island | landscape | men | missionary | mountains | natives | palace | palm trees | portrait | sea | shutters | velvet | women | yachts
- Associated Places:
- French Polynesia | Oceania | Papeete | Society Islands | Tahiti
- Associated People:
- Pritchard, George (1796–1883), missionary and diplomatist
Pomare IV, Queen of Tahiti (1813–1877)
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by George Baxter, 1804–1867, British, George Pritchard, Her Britannic Majesty's Consul, 1845
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.