The Merry Tales of the Wise Man of Gotham
- Former Title(s):
Illustrations used for 17th Century Chapbook
- Part Of:
- Woodcut on thin, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 5 3/8 x 5 3/16 inches (13.7 x 13.1 cm) and Image: 2 3/4 x 3 1/8 inches (7 x 8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on modern mount, on front, lower left: "From block in the V. + A. Museum. | Illus.n. to 17th chap. Book, | "The Merry Tales of the Wise Men of Gotham", 1630."
Lettered, in black ink, center of image: "COOCOU | GOTAM"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Undetermined
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bird | fable | farmer | fence | field | genre subject | hat | historical subject | husband | men | plants | stick | Tales | tree
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by unknown artist, The Merry Tales of the Wise Man of Gotham, 1909
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.