Ideal Pastoral Life
- Additional Title(s):
Ideal Pastoral Love
- Lithographic etching on moderately thick, smooth, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 4 13/16 x 5 9/16 inches (12.3 x 14.1 cm), Image: 1 5/8 x 3 inches (4.2 x 7.6 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "[?Lithograph] [?from]"; inscribed in graphite, upper center: "The original engravings | on Stone - Brixton - 1829" ("Stone" underlined); inscribed in graphite, lower left: "Ideal Pastoral Life"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "or, Ideal Pastoral Love."; inscribed in graphite, lower center to lower right: "F.4 One of the | 5 | original prints from Calvert family" ("5" inserted above the line of text); inscribed in graphite, center right on back, written vertically downwards: "8" (encircled); inscribed in graphite, lower right: "MH"
Lettered lower right within image: "EDW.D CALVERT INVEN."; lettered lower center below image: "LONDON PUBLISHED OCTOBER 1. MDCCCXXIX BY EDW.D CALVERT XVII RUSSELL ST. BRIXTON ROAD."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | cape | cloak | clouds | cowbell | fence | genre subject | hill | Ideal, the | landscape | leaves | light | man | moon | nudes | pastoral | path | robe | roof | sheep | staff | stick | sun | thatch | trees | vines | wicker | woman
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Painting in England 1700-1850, collection of Mr. & Mrs. Paul Mellon. , Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond, VA, 1963, v.1: p. 202, no. 388c, ND466 V57 v.1-2 (YCBA) [YCBA]