View of the Waterworks at Marly, and St. Germain-en-Laye seen in the distance
- Former Title(s):
View of the Water Works at Marli and St. Germaine-en-Laye seen in the Distance
- Soft-ground etching with graphite corrections in artist's hand on medium, slightly textured, cream, wove paper
- Sheet: 8 7/16 x 20 3/4 inches (21.4 x 52.7 cm) and Image: 5 13/16 x 18 3/8 inches (14.8 x 46.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower right: "C 15" On accompanying board: inscribed in black ink, upper left: "Proof of etched state of Girtin's "Views in Paris", 1803."; in black ink, left: "'View of the Water Works at Marli, and St. Germain en Laye| seen in the distance.'| note mark or correction on [line] of hills, | and a line [lending] down from building at top| of hill on left hand's to a note having been| written below.| M.H.| May ."'; in grey ink, center: "N.B. This is a unique plate, never published.-- although it has etched publication line. | It is a fresh plate of the subject; considerately improved, in comparison with the used working proof at S.K.| There are several obvious points of diff."; below, an illustration of the left hand part of the image with the note: "A bird here in sky in S.K. pubd. aquat."; below, an illustration of the left riverbank with the note: "River bank: double| line going through left| tree, in S.K. copy.."; and left, an illustration of the same rive
Recto, lower right: "Etch'd Drawn & Pubd Sept 2, 1802 by T. Girtin Johnington"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | bridge (built work) | cattle | grass | hill | landscape | water mill
- Associated Places:
- Acqueduct of Louveciennes | Europe | France | Louveciennes | Marly-le-Roi | Saint-Germain-en-Laye | Seine | Yvelines | Île-de-France
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Girtin, 1775–1802, British, View of the Waterworks at Marly, and St. Germain-en-Laye seen in the distance, 1802
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.