- Etching and drypoint, with plate tone on thin, slightly textured, cream laid paper (Japanese paper)
- Sheet: 8 3/4 x 6 7/16 inches (22.2 x 16.4 cm), Plate: 4 13/16 x 4 3/16 inches (12.2 x 10.6 cm), and Image: 3 15/16 x 3 3/16 inches (10 x 8.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left below plate marks: "A 4 iv | See under [arrow] as to printing"; inscribed in graphite, lower right below plate marks: "Coll: AH. Palmer | H | MH"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "Old Japanese paper from F Goulding 1877 | S."
Lettered lower right within image: "S PALMER" (very indistinct); lettered, lower right within image: "S. Palmer"; lower left below image: "S. Palmer."; lettered lower center below image: " "Christmas" | From Bampfylde's Sonnet."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | barn | children | Christmas | cottage | dog (animal) | doorway | farm | interior | moon | night | sheep | thatch | trees | window
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
Rachel Campbell-Johnston, Mysterious wisdom, the life and work of Samuel Palmer , Bloomsbury, London; New York, 2011, p. 243, NJ18 P19 C36 2011 (YCBA)
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Samuel Palmer, 1805–1881, British, active in Italy (1837–39), Christmas, 1877
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.