- The Rising Moon
- Etching and drypoint, with plate tone on thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper with cream chine collé
- Sheet: 10 7/8 x 16 3/8 inches (27.6 x 41.6 cm), Plate: 6 15/16 x 9 7/8 inches (17.7 x 25.1 cm), and Image: 4 9/16 x 7 5/8 inches (11.6 x 19.3 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left below plate marks: "A.7.i."; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "M.H. | Martin Hardie" ("Martin Hardie" underlined); inscribed in graphite, lower right [in a different hand?]: "B [...]"
Marked upper right in red ink: slight evidence of a circular stamp
Signed in graphite, lower right below image within plate marks: "S. Palmer."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | barrel | church | clouds | cypress | genre subject | hat | hills | horizon line | house | landscape | moon | moonlight | mountain | night | pond | sheep | shepherd | staff | tower (building division) | trees | trough | village
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Samuel Palmer, 1805–1881, British, active in Italy (1837–39), The Rising Moon, 1857
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.