- The Homeward Star
- begun ca. 1880
- Etching and drypoint, with plate tone on thin, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 6 5/8 x 9 5/16 inches (16.8 x 23.6 cm), Plate: 5 3/16 x 7 1/2 inches (13.2 x 19 cm), and Image: 4 x 6 inches (10.1 x 15.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left below plate marks: "A. 14ii | Frank Short. imp. 27.11.20"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "S. Palmer. | [...] "The Eclogues of Virgil"."
Lettered lower center within plate marks: "See, glimmering in the West, the homeward star; | And from the crest of upland towns afar, | The hearth - smoke rise; ___"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- apples | astronomy | bench | birds | buildings | bushes | cattle | chestnut | chimney (architectural element) | cows | cup | drinking | eating | figures | food | fruit | gathering | goats | hats | landscape | light | literary theme | meal | men | moon | mountains | night | oxen | people | science | sheep | sky | smoke | star | table | town | village | west | woman
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
Rachel Campbell-Johnston, Mysterious wisdom, the life and work of Samuel Palmer , Bloomsbury, London; New York, 2011, pp. 322-3, NJ18 P19 C36 2011 (YCBA)
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Samuel Palmer, 1805–1881, British, active in Italy (1837–39), The Homeward Star, begun ca. 1880
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.