The Morning of Life
- Former Title(s):
Morning of Life
- Additional Title(s):
Hercules and Cacus
A Leafy Dell
- Etching, engraving and drypoint, with plate tone, retouched with white watercolor, gouache or chalk on thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- 8 7/8 x 12 5/16 inches (22.6 x 31.3 cm), 5 11/16 x 8 7/16 inches (14.4 x 21.4 cm), and 5 3/8 x 8 3/16 inches (13.7 x 20.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left below plate marks: "A.10iv"; inscribed in graphite, lower center: "Why has that arm of the woman been wiped [?over/?out] so | much more than the gleam of light behind her?"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "A"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "MH."; inscribed in graphite, upper left on back: "[?A]" (cut off the edge of the sheet); inscribed in graphite, upper left on back: "[?When] [?to]" (inscription covered by another layer of paper); inscribed in graphite, lower center on back: ""Etching for the Art Union of London | by the Etching Club""; inscribed in graphite, lower center on back [in a different hand?]: "Bottom"; inscribed in graphite, lower left on back: "'The Morning of Life' Pubd. by The Etching Club / 1872 | Plate destroyed. See life of S P." (the inscription reading ""Etching for the Art Union of London | by the Etching Club"" is linked to "Pubd. by" with a graphite dash, and is written above it and slightly diagonally, like it was a
Lettered lower left within image: "S. PALMER."; lettered lower left below image within plate marks: "4"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | apples | bank | basket | beams | boys | brook | figures | food | labor | landscape | light | religious and mythological subject | river | sheep | stream | sun | trees | washing | woman
- Associated Places:
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Samuel Palmer, 1805–1881, British, active in Italy (1837–39), The Morning of Life, 1860-1861
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.