- Additional Title(s):
- Etching and drypoint on thick, smooth, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 4 3/4 x 6 5/16 inches (12 x 16 cm), Plate: 4 3/4 x 6 5/16 inches (12 x 16 cm), and Image: 3 1/2 x 5 inches (8.9 x 12.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite in Samuel Palmer's hand, lower left below image: "Trial Proof"; inscribed in graphite in different hand; lower right: "G"; inscribed in graphite in Martin Hardie's hand, lower right: "M.H"; inscribed in graphite, upper right on back: "£31s 2/[?-]"; inscribed in graphite, lower left to lower right on back: "proof of The [...] | "The Vine" or | ("Plumpy Bacchus") | pubd. in 'Songs + Ballads of Shakespeare [...] | the Etching Club", 185[...] | Plate destroyed" (""The Vine" or" is written above the other words in the sentence, like it was added as an afterthought; some of the inscription is cut off at the edges where the sheet has been cropped)
Signed in graphite, lower right below image: "Samuel Palmer"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- basket | cape | cloak | figures | foliage | food | grapes | landscape | leaves | light | monarch | religious and mythological subject | specific aspects, allegorical aspects of Bacchus; Bacchus as a patron | trees | vat | vine | wine
- Associated People:
Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Samuel Palmer, 1805–1881, British, active in Italy (1837–39), The Vine, 1852
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.