The Opening of the Carnival at Rome
- Additional Title(s):
The Opening of the Carnival at Rome, the Obelisk near the Porta del Popolo
- ca. 1781
- Aquatint and etching on medium, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 15 1/8 x 22 1/4 inches (38.4 x 56.5 cm), Plate: 15 x 22 5/16 inches (38.1 x 56.7 cm), Image: 13 3/4 x 20 3/4 inches (34.9 x 52.7 cm), and Image: 13 1/16 x 20 3/4 inches (33.2 x 52.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper right on back: "172"; inscribed in graphite, center on back (written vertically downwards): "814"; inscribed in graphite, lower right on back: "[? 959 191]"; inscribed in graphite, lower right on back: "2"
Watermarked, center left: "[...] | [...]"
Lettered upper right within image (on flag): "CONCORDIA"; lettered upper left within image (on building): "CARD GASTALDI"; lettered center left within image (on flag): "AL TEATRO"; lettered center left within image (on flag): "CORSO DEI CAVALLI"; lettered lower left within image (on banner): "CONFETT"; lettered lower left below image within plate marks: "D.Allan Invt."; lettered lower center below image within plate marks: "THE OPENING OF THE CARNIVAL AT ROME | The Obelisk near the Porta del Popolo. | Publish'd as the Act directs by P. Sandby St. Georges Row 1st. Jany. 1781."; lettered lower right below image within plate marks: "P.Sandby Fecit"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | beggars | carnival | celebration | churches | city | cityscape | costume | crest | dance | distance | dome | drums (membranophones) | dwarf | Egyptian | entertainment | festival | figures | flags | genre subject | hats | horses (animals) | instruments | mandolin | masks (costume) | music | musical instruments | obelisk | parasol | perspective | piazza | race | sheet music | skull | soldier | sporting art | statue | whip
- Associated Places:
- Europe | Italy | Lazio | Piazza del Popolo | Popolo Obelisk | Rome | Santa Maria dei Miracoli | Santa Maria di Montesanto | Via del Corso
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
The English Prize - The Capture of the Westmorland - An Episode of the Grand Tour (Yale Center for British Art, 2012-10-04 - 2013-01-13) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
The English Prize - The Capture of the Westmorland - An Episode of the Grand Tour (Ashmolean Museum, 2012-05-17 - 2012-08-27) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]