- The Horse Race at Rome During the Carnival
- ca. 1781
- Aquatint and etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper mounted on medium, moderately textured, cream wove paper
- Mount: 15 3/8 x 22 5/16 inches (39.1 x 56.6 cm), Sheet: 15 x 22 inches (38.1 x 55.9 cm), Plate: 15 x 22in. (38.1 x 55.9cm), Image: 14 1/8 x 20 5/16 inches (35.8 x 51.6 cm), and Image: 13 5/16 x 20 5/16 inches (33.8 x 51.6 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower right on back: "IR74/62"
Lettered upper left within image (on flag): "PALIA | CORSO"; lettered center left within image (on flag): "PALIA | PRIMO"; lettered lower left below image within plate marks: "D. Allan Delt."; lettered lower center below image within plate marks: "THE HORSE RACE AT ROME DURING THE CARNIVAL | Piazza del Popolo. | Publish'd as the Act directs by P. Sandby 1st. Jany. 1781."; lettered lower right below image within plate marks: "P.Sandby Fecit"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | carnival | cityscape | Grand Tour | horse racing | horses (animals) | sporting art
- Associated Places:
- Europe | Italy | Lazio | Piazza del Popolo | Rome
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Sandby RA, 1721–1798, British, The Horse Race at Rome During the Carnival, ca. 1781
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.