The Horse Race at Rome During the Carnival
- Additional Title(s):
The Horse Race at Rome During the Carnival, Piazza del Popolo
- ca. 1781
- Aquatint and etching on medium, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Mount: , Sheet: 15 3/8 x 22 5/16 inches (39.1 x 56.7 cm), Plate: 14 15/16 x 21 7/8 inches (38 x 55.6 cm), Image: 14 1/8 x 20 1/4 inches (35.9 x 51.4 cm), Image: 13 5/16 x 20 1/4 inches (33.8 x 51.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, center on back (written vertically downwards): "814"; inscribed in brown ink, lower right on back: "[?WV]"; inscribed in graphite, lower right on back: "[?910 191]"; inscribed in graphite, lower right on back: "1"
Watermarked, center left: "[...] | [...] | [...]"
Lettered upper left within image (on flag): "PALIA | CORSO"; lettered center left within image (on flag): "PALIA | PRIMO"; lettered lower left below image within plate marks: "D. Allan Delt."; lettered lower center below image within plate marks: "THE HORSE RACE AT ROME DURING THE CARNIVAL | Piazza del Popolo. | Publish'd as the Act directs by P. Sandby 1st. Jany. 1781."; lettered lower right below image within plate marks: "P.Sandby Fecit"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | bell tower | chaos | children | cityscape | competition | dome | festival | horse (animal) | merchant | perspective | race (event) | road | spectators | sporting art | street | whip
- Associated Places:
- Europe | Italy | Lazio | Piazza del Popolo | Rome
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
British Comic Art 1730 - 1830 (Museum of Art and Archaelogy, University of Missouri-Columbia, 1988-10-14 - 1988-12-04) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]