The Horse Race at Rome During the Carnival
- Additional Title(s):
The Horse Race at Rome During the Carnival, Piazza del Popolo
- ca. 1781
- Aquatint and etching on medium, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 15 3/8 x 22 5/16 inches (39.1 x 56.7 cm), Plate: 14 15/16 x 21 7/8 inches (38 x 55.6 cm), Image: 14 1/8 x 20 1/4 inches (35.9 x 51.4 cm), and Image: 13 5/16 x 20 1/4 inches (33.8 x 51.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, center on back (written vertically downwards): "814"; inscribed in brown ink, lower right on back: "[?WV]"; inscribed in graphite, lower right on back: "[?910 191]"; inscribed in graphite, lower right on back: "1"
Watermarked, center left: "[...] | [...] | [...]"
Lettered upper left within image (on flag): "PALIA | CORSO"; lettered center left within image (on flag): "PALIA | PRIMO"; lettered lower left below image within plate marks: "D. Allan Delt."; lettered lower center below image within plate marks: "THE HORSE RACE AT ROME DURING THE CARNIVAL | Piazza del Popolo. | Publish'd as the Act directs by P. Sandby 1st. Jany. 1781."; lettered lower right below image within plate marks: "P.Sandby Fecit"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | bell tower | chaos | children | cityscape | competition | dome | festival | horse (animal) | merchant | perspective | race (event) | road | spectators | sporting art | street | whip
- Associated Places:
- Europe | Italy | Lazio | Piazza del Popolo | Rome
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Paul Sandby RA, 1731–1809, British, The Horse Race at Rome During the Carnival, ca. 1781
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.