The Preposterous Head Dress, or the Feathered Lady
- Etching and stipple engraving on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 17 11/16 x 10 1/2 inches (44.9 x 26.6 cm), Plate: 13 7/8 x 9 13/16 inches (35.3 x 25 cm), and Image: 12 9/16 x 9 inches (31.9 x 22.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "M. Darly (artist)"
Lettered, lower center: "The PreposterousHead Dress, | or the Feathered Lady."; lower right: "Pub,, by MDarly. 39 Strand march, 20, 1776."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- caricature | carpet | costume | dressing | fancy dress | fashion | feathers | fruit | genre subject | hair | headdress | humor | macaronis | man | patterns | plumes | satire | scissors | servant | stools | vanity | vegetables | wigs | women
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
Rare and wondrous : birds in art and culture, 1620-1820, Toledo Museum of Art, Toledo : OH, p. 84-85, N7665 .R37 2021 (YCBA)