- S. O. S.
- Pen and black ink, white gouache, black chalk and graphite on medium, slighlty textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 13 7/8 × 20 13/16 inches (35.2 × 52.9 cm) and Image: 12 1/8 × 19 1/2 inches (30.8 × 49.5 cm)
Inscribed in brush and black ink, upper center: "COLLECTIVE | INSURANCE | POLICY". lower center: "CUT-THROAT | ARMS RACE | S.O.S.", inscribed in pen, with black ink, lower right: "COL. BLIMP: | "GAD, SIR, THIS RAFT IS GETTING | POSITIVELY DANGEROUS. WE | SHOULD ABANDON IT AT ONCE. ""; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower right: "12-7-35 | 1210"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower left: "1210"
Signed in brush and black ink, lower right: "LOW"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Charles and Jennifer Monaghan
- Copyright Status:
- © Estate of the Artist
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- caricature | historical subject | World War 1939-1945
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Sir David Low, 1891–1963, New Zealand, S. O. S, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.