- Chain of Alps from Grenoble to Chamberi
- Etching and mezzotint, printed in brown ink Engraver's proof (c) on medium, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 8 1/4 × 11 1/2 inches (21 × 29.2 cm), Image: 7 × 10 1/4 inches (17.8 × 26 cm), and Mount: 13 3/8 × 17 1/2 inches (34 × 44.5 cm)
Inscribed on verso in graphite, upper left: "Engraver's Proof | Extremely Rare | 49 E.P. (c)"; lower right: "15/6 | Turner's Liber Studiorum"; inscribed on mount in graphite: "49. The Chain of Alps. Engraver's Proof (c), Completed, but before any lettering, Ex. F.L.Griggs, R.A. & W. Say."
Blind embossed: "W. S." William Say (Lugt 2651)
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Etched by Joseph Mallord William Turner, 1775–1851, British, Chain of Alps from Grenoble to Chamberi, 1812
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.