Mer de Glace, Valley of Chamouni, Savoy
- Part Of:
- Materials & Techniques:
- Etching and mezzotint, printed in brown ink Engraver's proof (c) on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 11 × 16 1/4 inches (27.9 × 41.3 cm), Plate: 8 5/8 × 11 5/8 inches (21.9 × 29.5 cm), Image: 7 × 10 1/8 inches (17.8 × 25.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "50 | E.P. (c). Before birds & sharp ray in distance."; inscribed on verso in graphite, upper left: "[...] 40"; lower right: "Cotswold Gallery 1924, ex. G.E.Blood"
Blind embossed: "G.E. Blood" (Lugt 265c)
Lettered above image: "M"; below image: "Drawn Etched & Engraved by I.M.W.Turner Esqr. R.A.P.P. | Mer de Glace - Valley of Chamouni - Savoy | Published May 23, 1812, by I.M.W.Turner Queen Ann Street West."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Associated Places:
- Alps | Chamonix-Mont-Blanc | France | Haute-Savoie | Mer de Glace (glacier) | Mont Blanc | Rhône-Alpes
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Etched and engraved by Joseph Mallord William Turner, 1775–1851, British, Mer de Glace, Valley of Chamouni, Savoy, 1812
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.