The Wreck of the Nuestra Senora de los Remedios
- Additional Title(s):
The Wreck of the Nuestra Senora de los Remedios (alias La Ninsa) a Prize to the Royal Family Privateers taken 5 February 1746 and Lost in November Following Near Beachey Head on the Coast of Sussex
- Etching and line engraving on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 15 9/16 x 21 3/16 inches (39.6 x 53.8 cm), Plate: 13 3/8 x 18 5/8 inches (33.9 x 47.3 cm), and Image: 11 5/16 x 17 13/16 inches (28.7 x 45.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, upper right: "£6.10.0"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Brooking Pinxt."; lower center: "The Wreck of the Nuestra Senora de los Remedios (alias La Ninsa) a Prize to the Royal family Privateers taken 5 Feburary 1746. | and Lost in November following near Beachey head on the Coast of Sussex. [swirled mark] | Publis'd according to Act of Parliament, 1753. & Sold by J. Boydell Engraver, at the Unicorn, the Corner of Queen Street, Cheapside."; lower right: "Boydell Sculpt."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cliffs | clouds | damage | destruction | flags | lightning | marine art | meteorology | night | science | sea | seamen | ships | shipwrecks | storm | waves (natural events) | wind
- Associated Places:
- Beachy Head | East Sussex | England | Europe | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Boydell, 1720–1804, British, The Wreck of the Nuestra Senora de los Remedios, 1753
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.