The Fish-Street Macaroni
- Additional Title(s):
The Fish Street Macaroni
- Etching on moderately thick, moderately textured, blued white laid paper
- 11 5/8 x 8 1/4 inches (29.6 x 21 cm), 10 1/4 x 6 7/8 inches (26.1 x 17.5 cm), and 8 7/8 x 6 9/16 inches (22.5 x 16.6 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "44534 (encircled)"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "HWBunbury delin : 1772"; lower center: "THE FISH-STREET | MACARONI | Publish'd as the Act directs March, 29. 1772, by J Bretherton New Bond Street No. 134."; lower right: "J. Bretherton f."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- breeches (trousers) | costume | cravat | entertainment | fashion | gardens | gate | genre subject | grin | humor | leisure | macaroni | man | ornament | parody | pattern (design element) | pleasure garden | ruffles | satire | sign | smiling | sword | tricorne | wig
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by James Bretherton, ca. 1730–1806, British, The Fish-Street Macaroni, 1772
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.