The Puzzle for the Dog, the Puzzle for the Horse, the Puzzle for Turk, Frenchman, or, Christian
- Stipple engraving and etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet (cropped to plate): 10 1/2 x 8 13/16 inches (26.6 x 22.4 cm) and Image: 8 3/4 x 7 1/2 inches (22.3 x 19 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "44563 (circled)"
Lettered, upper center: "The Puzzle for the Dog."; center: "The Puzzle for the Horse."; lower left: "H Bunbury Esqr Delint"; lower center: "The Puzzle for the Turk, Frenchman, or, Christian. | LONDON, Published March 25th 1791 by W. DICKINSON No 24 Old Bond Street"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | caricature | costume | cravats | cuffs | dog (animal) | gesturing | horse (animal) | lapels | men | nose | satire | surprise | wigs
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
William Dickinson, 1746–1823, British, The Puzzle for the Dog, the Puzzle for the Horse, the Puzzle for Turk, Frenchman, or, Christian, 1791
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.