The Damnation of Obadiah
- Part Of:
- between 1773 and 1817
- Materials & Techniques:
- Hand-colored etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 10 13/16 x 17 1/2 inches (27.5 x 44.5 cm), Plate: 9 11/16 x 13 9/16 inches (24.6 x 34.5 cm), Image: 8 1/8 x 12 1/2 inches (20.7 x 31.7 cm)
Lettered, lower left inside image: "H Bunbury Esqr"; lower left: "May all the Angels & Archangels, Principalities & | Powers & all the Heavenly Armies Curse & Damn him"; lower center: "The Damnation of Obadiah"; lower right: "Obadiah, our Armys Swore terribly in Flanders | quoth my Uncle Toby but nothing to this"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- book | broom | caricature | chairs | crutch | dog (animal) | gesturing | hankerchief | hat | illustration | jacket | literary theme | map | men | novel | obese | pipe | pointing | robe | The Damnation of Obadiah (from Tristram Shandy) | The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman, by Laurence Sterne (1713-1768) | tights | tricorn | walking | wig
- Associated People:
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Henry William Bunbury, 1750–1811, British, The Damnation of Obadiah, between 1773 and 1817
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.