- Mrs. Cosway
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 18 9/16 x 13 9/16 inches (47.1 x 34.4 cm), Plate: 17 15/16 x 12 15/16 inches (45.6 x 32.8 cm), and Image: 16 7/16 x 12 15/16 inches (41.8 x 32.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "41949 (encircled)"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Painted by Maria Cosway."; lower center: "MRS. COSWAY. | Published by V. & R. Green, Newman Street, Oxford Street, London, Septr. 1st. 1787."; lower right: "Engraved by V. Green, Mezzotinto Engraver to his Majesty, and to the Elector Palatine"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- artist | chair | costume | cross (object) | curls | earrings | fichu | gown | hat | horizon line | muslin | portrait | ruffles | self-portrait | turban | woman
- Associated People:
- Cosway, Maria Louisa Catherine Cecilia, Baroness Cosway in the nobility of the Austrian empire (1760–1838), history painter and educationist
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
Stephen Lloyd, Richard & Maria Cosway: regency artists of taste and fashion, Scottish National Portrait Gallery, Edinburgh, p. 69, NJ18 C7985 L56 1995 (LC)+ Oversize (YCBA)
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Valentine Green, 1739–1813, British, Mrs. Cosway, 1787
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.