- Ornamental Ticket for Society of Painters
- Etching on medium, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 11 15/16 x 7 1/2 inches (30.3 x 19 cm), Plate: 11 13/16 x 7 5/16 inches (30 x 18.5 cm), and Image: 11 5/16 x 7 1/16 inches (28.8 x 18 cm)
Inscribed in pen, on back, center: "Two of these invitations to Dinner at the Painter-Stainers Hall were sold at the Hodgkin sale | at Sotheby's 27 April 1914: - | Lot 57 for 026 Oct 1676 Catalogued as "Extremely Rare" | ~63 in 21 Oct 1673 Catalogued as "Extremeley Rare and early ticket" A T Topkin | [...] Harold"
Lettered, center: "You are desired to accompany the | Society of Painters at St Lukes Feast | on thursday ye 13 day of Nov.r 1690 | at 12 of the Clock at Noone in Painter - | Stainers Hall where you Shall be | entertained by | Richard Hays Master | Thomas Newton | Thomas Perkins | John Smith | Stewards"; lower center: "R. Hayes | fecit et Sc"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- angels | arrows | cherubs | coat of arms | crests | dinner | faces | feast | flowers (plants) | garlands | guild | invitation | paintbrushes | painters | palette | phoenix | putti | scrolls | scythe | still life | ticket | torso | wings
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
unknown artist, (Richard Hayes), Ornamental Ticket for Society of Painters, 1690
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.