Thornbury Castle, Gloucestershire
- between 1823 and 1835
- Lithograph, hand-colored on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper with cream chine collé
- Sheet: 10 9/16 x 13 11/16 inches (26.8 x 34.7 cm), Sheet (chine collé): 9 5/8 x 12 1/2 inches (24.5 x 31.7 cm), and Image: 7 9/16 x 11 1/8 inches (19.2 x 28.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower right: "R8087 | 9 1/4 x 11 1/2"
Lettered, lower left: "On Stone by L. Haghe."; lower center, text divided by a coat of arms: "THORNBURY CASTLE. CLOUCESTERSHIRE. | Begun & left unfinished by Edward Duke of Buckignham who was beheaded in the reign of Henry the VIIIth. | now in the possesion of | Henry Howard Esq,,r of Greystone Castle, Cumberland, | to whom this plate is most respectfully dedicated | Published by George Davey Booksellers, 1 Broad St Bristol."; lower right: "from a drawing by M. Holmes | Day & Haghe Lithg to the King"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bonnets | castle | clouds | country house | flowers (plants) | genre subject | grass | men | overcast | ruins | towers | trees | Tudor | visitors | walls | windows | women
- Associated Places:
- England | Europe | South Gloucestershire | Thornbury | Thornbury Castle | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Louis Haghe, 1806–1885, British, Thornbury Castle, Gloucestershire, between 1823 and 1835
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.