Joshua Commanding the Sun to Stand Still
- Mezzotint, published state on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream, wove paper, with cream, chine colle
- Sheet: 23 1/4 × 30 13/16 inches (59.1 × 78.3 cm), Chine collé: 22 7/16 × 30 9/16 inches (57 × 77.6 cm), Plate: 22 3/4 × 30 inches (57.8 × 76.2 cm), and Image: 17 3/16 × 26 7/8 inches (43.7 × 68.3 cm)
Paul Mellon Collector's mark
Lettered, lower left: "PAINTED & ENGRAVED BY JOHN MARTIN"; lettered, lower center: "London Published May 9, 1827, by Mr. Martin, 30, Allsops Buildings, New Road."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- battle | Bible | chariot | city | cliff | commander | daylight | flag | gate | hail | horse | Joshua orders the sun and the moon to stand still over Gibeon and Aijalon until the Amorites who had besieged the city of Gibeon are routed | king (person) | mountain | prayer | rain | river | rock | shield | spear | staff | storm | tree
- Associated People:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
John Martin, 1789–1854, British, Joshua Commanding the Sun to Stand Still, 1827
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.