- Mezzotint on thick, moderately textured, cream, wove paper
- Sheet: 22 3/8 × 30 1/4 inches (56.8 × 76.8 cm), Plate: 22 3/16 × 30 1/8 inches (56.4 × 76.5 cm), and Image: 18 3/4 × 27 15/16 inches (47.6 × 71 cm)
Paul Mellon Collector's mark
Lettered, lower center: "Designed & Engrad by John Martin K.L. Member of the Academy of Antwerp Historical Painter to H.M.King of the Belgiums &c &c &c. TO THE RIGHT HONORABLE LORD VISCOUNT MELBOURNE, &C.&C.&C. | THIS PLATE IS INSCRIBED AS A TRIBUTE OF RESPECT AND GRATITUDE | BY HIS LORDSHIP'S MOST OBEDIENT HUMBLE SERVANT | JOHN MARTIN"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- (story of) Marcus (Manlius) Curtius | audience | building | chaos | chasm | cityscape | cloud | crowd | daylight | death | death, i.e. the self-sacrifice of Marcus (Manlius) Curtius: he leaps on horseback into a chasm with lethal fumes | earthquake | fainting | fortress | horse | man | pillar | religious and mythological subject | rock | sacrifice | soldier | statue | woman
- Associated Places:
- Italy | Lazio | Roma | Roma | Roman Forum
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.