- Additional Title(s):
Pandemonium, from John Milton, 'The Paradise Lost'
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet (trimmed inside plate): 22 3/8 × 30 3/4 inches (56.8 × 78.1 cm) and Image: 19 1/8 × 27 5/8 inches (48.6 × 70.2 cm)
Inscribed on verso in graphite, lower right: "Pandemonium"
Paul Mellon collector's mark
Lettered below image, lower left: "Designed by John Martin. | For the New Series."; lower right: "Engraved by John Martin. | And I.P.Quilly."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- building | chaos | city | cliff | demon | devil | dome | dragon | flame | hell | Paradise Lost (published 1667) by John Milton | pillar | rock | shield | spear | statue | torch
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.