- between 1838 and 1850
- Etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper with cream chine collé
- Sheet: 11 1/8 x 14 15/16 inches (28.2 x 37.9 cm), Plate (aligns with chine collé): 6 x 9 inches (15.2 x 22.9 cm), and Image: 5 1/8 x 6 3/16 inches (13 x 15.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on front, upper right: "a duplicate"; on back, lower center: "Design (poetry | ?) & etching by John Bell"
Lettered, etched in brown ink, lower left under image: "DIAVOLI PESCATORI"; lower center: "THUS DOE THE DEVVIES FISHE FOR SOWLES OF MENNE | AND FYRSTE FOR GROUNDE BAYTE THROWE THEY IN MOCHE VANITIE | AT WHYCHE FOR THE FOOLIS DOE CHUCKLE MOCHE AND THENNE | ALL NEEDLESSE OF THE HOOKES WHYCHE SHEWETH THEIR INSANITIE | THEY EAGER BYTE AND KETCHED ARE. HOW WEAKE IS POORE HUMANITIE"; lower right under image: "JOHN BELL ETCH : CLUB"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- allegory | bows | cardinal sins | clawed lobsters | costume | crabs | dancing | death | devil | dresses | feathers | fencing | fighting | fish | fishermen (people) | fishing | flirting | gluttony | greed | historical subject | hooks | lake | lust | mermaids | monsters | personification | pride | shore (landform) | sins | sloth | vanity | women | wrath
- Associated People:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Bell, 1811–1895, British, Diavoli Pescatori, between 1838 and 1850
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.