- Additional Title(s):
Evening, or Sun Setting
Le soir, ou soleil couchant
Evening or Sun Setting
- Line engraving and etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, blued white laid paper
- Sheet: 14 15/16 x 21 1/4 inches (37.9 x 53.9 cm), Plate: 12 1/16 x 15 7/8 inches (30.6 x 40.3 cm), and Image: 10 13/16 x 14 3/4 inches (27.4 x 37.4 cm)
collector's stamp of the Paul Mellon Collection, in blue ink, on back, lower center, within two concentric circles: "PAUL MELLON | COLLECTION"
Lettered in black ink, upper left: "9"; lower left: "P. Monamy pinxt. | Evening, or Sun setting."; lower center: "Published according to Act of Parliament 21. Febry. 1745-6. | Printed for John Bowles at the Black Horse, Cornhill."; lower right: "Canat Sculp. | Le Soir, ou Soleil couchant."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- buildings | castle | coast | coats | evening | flags | fort | galleons | genre subject | hats | hills | light | marine art | masts | men | men-of-war | oars | ropes | rowboat | sailboats | sails | sea | seamen | ships | shore (landform) | smoke | sunlight | trousers | workers
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Pierre Charles Canot, ca. 1710–1777, French, active in Britain, Evening, 1745
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.