Sun Under a Cloud
- Additional Title(s):
Soleil couvert de nuages
- Line engraving and etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- 15 1/16 x 21 9/16 inches (38.3 x 54.7 cm), 12 x 15 7/8 inches (30.5 x 40.4 cm), and 10 7/8 x 14 15/16 inches (27.6 x 37.9 cm)
collector's stamp of the Paul Mellon Collection, in blue ink, on back, lower center, within two concentric circles: "PAUL MELLON | COLLECTION"
Lettered in black ink, upper left: "11"; lower left: "P. Monamy pinxt. | Sun under a Cloud."; lower center: "Published according to Act of Parliament 21 Febry 1745-6 | Printed for John Bowles at the Black Horse, Cornhill."; lower right: "Canat Sculp. | Soleil couvert de Nuages."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- basket | bindle | boats | breeches (trousers) | castle | clouds | coast | coats | flags | fort | galleons | genre subject | gesture | hats | marine art | masts | men | men-of-war | navy | poles | rowboat | sailboats | sails | sea | seamen | ships | shore (landform) | smoke | sun | sunlight | talking
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Pierre Charles Canot, ca. 1710–1777, French, active in Britain, Sun Under a Cloud, 1745
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.