- between 1842 and 1887
- Stipple engraving and etching on thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper with cream chine collé
- Sheet: 19 15/16 x 13 1/2 inches (50.6 x 34.3 cm), Plate: 13 15/16 x 10 3/8 inches (35.4 x 26.4 cm), Sheet: 13 1/4 x 9 7/8 inches (33.6 x 25.1 cm), and Image: 8 11/16 x 6 7/8 inches (22 x 17.5 cm)
Lettered, lower left under image: "W. ETTY, R. A. PAINTER"; lower left: "SIZE OF THE PICTURE. | 1 FT. 7 IN. BY 1 FT. 3 IN."; lower center: "THE PENITENT. | FROM THE PICTURE IN THE VERNON GALLERY | LONDON, PUBLISHED FOR THE PROPRIETORS."; lower right under image: "F. BACON, ENGRAVER."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- Bible | Christian | cross (motif) | crucifix | drapery | dress | gaze | leaves | nude | posing | praying | religious | religious and mythological subject | skull | sky | tree
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Frederick Bacon, 1803–1887, British, The Penitent, between 1842 and 1887
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.