Caliban, from The Tempest
- Etching, published state on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 17 x 13 3/4in. (43.2 x 34.9cm), Plate: 15 7/8 × 12 15/16 inches (40.3 × 32.8 cm), and Image (oval): 13 9/16 × 11 1/8 inches (34.4 × 28.3 cm)
Lettered above image, upper center, "CALIBAN."; below image, lower center, "Do not torment me prithee | I'll bring my wood home faster."; below, "Publifhed May 20, 1775 by J. MORTIMER, Norfolk Street STRAND."; below image, lower right, "Tempeft Act II, Scene the 2."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- literary theme | The Tempest, play by William Shakespeare | theater (discipline)
- Associated People:
- Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
John Hamilton Mortimer, 1740–1779, British, Caliban, from The Tempest, 1775
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.