- Part Of:
- Etching on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper, laid on mount
- 13 11/16 x 17 1/4 inches (34.8 x 43.8 cm), 12 13/16 x 16 7/16 inches (32.6 x 41.7 cm), and 11 1/4 x 15 1/8 inches (28.6 x 38.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on mount, center right: "X | 16 3/4"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Drawn by Mortimer."; lower center: "The Captive. | As I darkened the little light he had, he lifted up a hopeless eye towards the door, then cast it down _ shook his head and went on with his work of affliction. Sentimental Journey. | To Alexr,, Wight Esqr,, Advocate, This Plate, is humbly Inscribed, by His much obliged, and most obedient Servant, R. Blyth. | From an Original Drawing of Mortimer, in the Collection of Richard Payne Knight Esqr. London, Publish'd as the Act directs, Novr. 1st. 1781, by R. Blyth No. 27, Great Castle, Street, Cavendish Square."; lower right: "Etch'd by R. Blyth."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- chain | correctional institution | jug | light | literary theme | man | manacles | portrait | prison | prisoner | sadness | shackles | Sterne, Laurence (1713–1768), writer and Church of England clergyman | wood
- Associated People:
- Reverend Mr. Yorick
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.