Francis Russel, Duke of Bedford, with his Brothers & Sister
- Additional Title(s):
The Bedford Children: Francis Russell, 5th Duke of Bedford, as St.George, slaying the Dragon, with His Siblings, John Russell, 6th Duke of Bedford, Lord William Russell, and Miss Caroline Vernon, as Sabra.
Francis Russell, 5th Duke of Bedford with is Siblings, Lord John Russel, 6th Duke of Bedford, Lord William Russell and Miss Caroline Vernon
- Part Of:
- Mezzotint on medium, slightly textured, cream, laid paper
- 19 15/16 × 17 1/16 inches (50.6 × 43.3 cm) and 18 13/16 × 17 inches (47.8 × 43.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower right; "Vol.1 Page 36"
Lettered, lower left: "Painted by Sir Joshua Reynolds. "; lettered, lower right: "Engraved by V.Green, Mezzotinto Engraver to his Majesty | and to the Elector Palatine."; lettered, lower center: Publish'd by Walter Shropshire May 1st 17788 | No.158, Noe Bond Street."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- aristocracy | aristocrat | boy | brother | cape | cloud | crouching | dragon | duke | family | field | flower (plant) | flowers | Garland | girl | nobility | politician | portrait | religious and mythological subject | shield | sibling | sister | sword | the warrior martyr George (Georgius); possible attributes: banner (red cross on white field), (red) cross, dragon, (white) horse, broken lance, shield (with cross), sword | tree | youth
- Associated People:
- Bedford, Francis Russell, 5th Duke of (British aristocrat, 1765-1802)
Bedford, John Russell, 6th Duke of (British aristocrat, 1766-1839)
Russell, William, Lord (British owner, 1767-1840)
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Valentine Green, 1739–1813, British, Francis Russel, Duke of Bedford, with his Brothers & Sister, 1778
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.