The Spirit of the East
- between 1923 and 1924
- Drypoint and etching on moderately thick, very smooth, beige Asian paper
- Sheet: 16 7/16 x 12 1/8 inches (41.8 x 30.8 cm) and Plate (to image): 10 x 8 11/16 inches (25.4 x 22.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "The Spirit of the East"; lower center: "95976"; in red ink, lower right: "33-72-535"; in graphite, on back, upper left: "P1483"; on back, lower left: "18216"
Lettered in black ink, within image, in monogram: "EJD"
signed in graphite, lower right: "E. J. Detmold"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, The G. Allen Smith Collection, transfer from the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- © Estate Of The Artist
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | architectural subject | architecture | banners | buildings | camel (mammal) | celebration | ceremony | cityscape | elephants (animals) | festival | flags | flowers (plants) | genre subject | Hinduism | howdah | Indian | men | monkeys (animals) | nobility | palace | parade | potentate | procession | sadhus | square | statues | street | temple | women
- Associated Places:
- Asia | India
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Edward Julius Detmold, 1883–1957, British, The Spirit of the East, between 1923 and 1924
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.